UYC Members Training 2016
At UYC we offer a varied training program for juniors & adults members, from beginners to those with more experience following the RYA sailing scheme. We are also in the fantastic position this year of having a variety of club boats for members use so everyone has the opportunity to join in. We hope to offer the following over the year:
Race Office Training – specific for UYC, run by members, to help other members get to grips with running racing, or assisting in the race box. Dates are 16th & 30th April, please email Charley Steel if you are interested firstname.lastname@example.org
RYA Youth Scheme for juniors (8 – 16 years)
• Stage 1 Basic understanding of how a boat sails and sailing under supervision in light winds.
• Stage 2 Developing a range of sailing skills and becoming a confident sailor.
• Stage 3 Rigging, launching and being able to sail independently in moderate conditions.
• Stage 4 Developing the skills to sail a double-handed boat as crew or helm.
RYA National Sailing Scheme for Adults and 16+
• Start Sailing An introduction to the sport how to get afloat and sail under supervision in light winds.
• Basic Sailing Developing sailing skills and becoming a competent sailor in lighter winds.
• Better Sailing Consolidating skills and introducing some new skills from the advanced modules.
Advance Modules for all ages
• Racing From Club racing to Regattas – all you need to know.
• Seamanship Skills How to handle the boat in all circumstances.
• Sailing with Spinnakers Everything you need to know about sailing with asymmetric/conventional spinnakers.
We will be running three courses this year:
Course A Training weekend 10am to 4pm 7th & 8th May
Course B Saturday morning course 10am to 12 noon 21st, 28th May, 4th, 18th June
Course C Saturday morning course 10am to 12 noon 3rd, 10th,17th and 24th Sept
To attend any of these courses you must pre-book your place.
There is a charge of £40 for each course when using your own boat and £60 when using a club boat. If you want to discuss any of these courses please contact the UYC Sailing Development Officer, Charley Steel, email email@example.com Under 16s must have a responsible adult on site at all times during the courses to supervise them during lunch and breaks and in case they need to come off the water at any time.
Bookings for course A and B will be open from the beginning of April. Bookings for course A will close on 1st May and course B on the 15th May, Late applicants will only be accepted if there is space in suitable groups. Details and bookings for course C will be available later in the season after course B.
Unfortunately it is not possible to accommodate all levels for each course those that run will depend on demand.
During the year we will be also running:
RYA Power Boat Level 2 Course - Suitable for those wishing to helm a club safety boat - cost £25. For further details contact Robin Stanley firstname.lastname@example.org
RYA First Aid Course - First Aid in a boating environment - cost £25. For further information contact Clare Clarke email@example.com
Details will also be available on the notice board in the clubhouse.