Contact   |   Location   |   Links
You are here:   Home
  |  Login

November Series goes out with a big bang, Sunday Nov 29

November Series goes out with a big bang, Sunday Nov 29

Instead of taking part in the final two races of the series, the sailors were experiencing the biggest winds any of them could ever remember, along with torrential rain. Racing was cancelled as the South-westerly winds increased throughout the morning, whipping the water off the top of the high waves.

Weather measurements at the Ullswater Steamer jetty nearby showed the highest gust at 11.51am was 79.2mph, a Force 12, with the highest speed over a ten minute average, 60.4mph, a Force 10. The keen racers who were hoping to round off the ten-race informal Sunday series with a morning on the water, spent the time packing up their boats in appalling conditions. Fortunately all the boats in the dinghy park at the club had been moved into more sheltered areas after strong winds and heavy rains a couple of weeks ago.

The overall winners of the series were David and Edmund Clarke in a VX One, John Thornley and Christian Barnes were second in a Flying Fifteen and Laser Radial sailor Tom Jennings was third. A total of 30 boats in a range of different boats turned out for the series which began on Sunday, November 1 and was held in contrasting conditions from very light to very strong winds. The biggest fleet were the VX Ones, with a total of six boats taking part.

Members had celebrated the close of the season with their traditional Christmas meal at the clubhouse on the Saturday night. They enjoyed a meal together in the festive spirit and a raffle raised £71 for the RNLI. Thanks, as always, to everyone involved in making the night such a success, especially Robin Stanley and Marion Marshall who organised it all.

John Robinson, left, presented the trophy for the November Series to VX One sailors David Clarke, centre, and Edmund

The winds were so strong that a catamaran at Waterside House Campsite was flipped into a roadside hedge. This boat was not at UYC but at the campsite about half a mile along the lake towards Pooley Bridge and pictured by club member Richard Farrar on his way home.

Posted on 30 November 2015 (Archive on 28 December 2015)
Posted by 51  Contributed by 51


Current Rating: