UYC
Contact   |   Location   |   Links
You are here:   Home
  |  Login

60 years ago today...

60 years ago today...

It had all started earlier in 1958 when friends Harold Couzens and Joe Harrison, who enjoyed spending time on the lake, decided to form a club. They both lived and worked nearby so they placed an advert in the Cumberland and Westmorland Herald, on March 4, 1958, inviting anyone interested to write them. They were delighted with the response and eighty people, motorboat owners and sailors, turned up at the Queen’s Head, Tirril, and the club became official.

The name was soon changed to Ullswater Yacht Club and it grew from a group of enthusiasts to one of the premier sailing clubs in the country, winner of two Club of the Year Awards in 2017.

In the early days the Queens Head played an important part in the running of the club. Until the UYC clubhouse opened in 1960, all club meetings were held at the 18th century inn. And the pub's connection to the club continues today - only last month the Cruiser fleet and the Flying Fifteens both held get together meals there. Pictured: Current landlords and UYC supporters, Margaret and Jim Hodge


Posted on 10 April 2018 (Archive on 08 May 2018)
Posted by 51  Contributed by 51
Return

Rating:
Comments:
Save

Current Rating: